How does Management Due Diligence help?
Firstly, it’s not about us, it’s about you. A fresh, objective perspective, strong, well-evidenced opinions, and practical, detailed outputs for investors and management teams to provide all the support they need to hit their grow plans and make a success of their business.
We provide a deep understanding of the subtleties of the individuals and what drives them, as well as the team dynamics, so that investors have a really detailed, in-depth view of the team they’re investing in, and we give solid, practical advice on how to best support and get the best from the team to deliver the business plan.
- Individual strengths, limitations, motivations, aspirations
- Any potential gaps in the team
- Bandwidth and potential succession
- Best fit non-executives or new hires
- Team views on growth plans and exit
- Structuring and scaling the business
- Gather views on any issues of concern to the investors
- How to best support and work with the team
For Management Teams
Through the MDD process we get to know management teams very well, which means we can provide them with an honest, objective, insightful but practical perspective on each of the team, and on the team as a whole, highlighting strengths and areas to build on to hit the business growth aspirations.
- Personal assessment and feedback for each of the team
- Feedback on team composition in relation to the business plan
- Highlighting potential gaps in the team
- Raises different perspectives and ideas about the business
- How to motivate and support each person through the private equity cycle
- Full management due diligence report on the team
- Personal development reports
- Feedback discussion post deal (Management teams usually invite us back, post transaction, to take them through our views in more depth, and ask us specific questions.)
Our Management Due Diligence Approach
What does that mean? Well, no theoretical frameworks, no jargon, no fancy graphs for the sake of it. We will have a deep understanding of the individuals and the team, so that we can determine motivation, skillsets and any potential gaps so that the team is best placed to deliver on the plan. We also give each of the team a full and frank feedback session.
We understand the management team’s pressures, and the many work streams they’ll have going on, and so we will work around their schedules to minimise disruption to the business. We want the MDD process to add value, to be a positive, helpful and enjoyable experience, a learning process not a tick-box exercise or a distraction.
Honest and open
We listen (no, really listen), to truly understand the issues so that we can develop a fresh and accurate view and offer direct practical advice to the team, the individuals and the investors. We work in a spirit of openness, we share the individual assessments and reports with the each of the team, take management through our assessment as a team, and provide advice to the CEO.
We see our role as supporting management, to get them into the best shape for this new world of investment, individually, and as a team, to better understand themselves, grow and develop, and so work positively, constructively and in partnership with their new investors.